Centro Turistico Givanile Veneto
Ostello “Città di Padova”
Via Aleardo Aleardi 30 - 35122 Padova - Italy
Tel. e fax +39.049.8752219 - E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ostello CTG Città di Padova
PADUA YOUTH HOSTEL
History of Padua
According to the tradition, Padua was founded by Antenor, an Homeric Hero who took flight from Troy.
The ancient Padua rose on the banks of the river “Brenta” which at that time flowed in the course of the present “Bacchiglione”.
During the Roman domination, “Patavium”, as Padua was known by the Romans, became one of the most richest cities of the empire.
Afterwards the fall of the Roman Empire, Padua saw, in 589, the “Brenta” change its course, substituted by the “Bacchiglione”.
Later on, in 601, Padua was besieged and completely razed by the Lombards.
Only after the 1000 Padua restarted to grew in power and self-reliance as an independent commune, even if it had to suffer the consequences of the earthquakes in 1004 and in 1117 and of the big fire in 1174.
In the following years Padua extended its importance and properties.
In 1222 was founded the University, the second most ancient of Italy and one of the first and most prestigious of Europe.
In Padua preached Saint Anthony, and when he died in 1231, the Paduans built a magnificent Basilica in his honour.
Between 1302 and 1305 Giotto painted The Scrovegni Chapel, of inestimable pictorial value.
In 1405 Padua passed under Venetian rule.
In 1797 the Venetian Republic fell down because of the first Napoleonic campaign and Padua was ceded to the Austrian Empire.
In 1848 Padua saw a student revolt against the Austrian occupation, so far the date of the insurrection, on February 8, is celebrated.
In 1866 Vittorio Emanuele II entered in the city and Padua was annexed to the recently united Italy.